Return to Visas

Ten different visa


Citizens from certain countries are required to obtain a visa in order to enter Brazil. Click here to view the visa requirements for citizens of all countries and territories. All individuals seeking to enter Brazil with a U.S. passport are required to obtain a visa. Brazilian citizens must enter and leave Brazil on their Brazilian passports.


The visa application requirements listed on this website are not all-inclusive. The Consulate-General may request additional documents and information whenever they are deemed necessary. Applicants who have visited certain countries and territories (view list here) within 90 days prior to applying for a visa/entering Brazil are required to present a Yellow Fever International Certificate of Vaccination upon entering Brazil.


Be sure to plan your visa application in advance. After all application requirements are met, the processing time is approximately:

  •  Three (3) working days, if applied in person;
  • Seven (7) working days, if applied by mail; and
  • Ten (10) working days, if applied through a travel or visa agency.

Ten types of VISA


Please note there are ten types of visas. For further information, enter the link to each one.
1) Tourist Visa ( VITUR ):
  • Tourism trip;
  • visit to relatives and/or friends;
  • scientists, professors or researchers attending cultural, technological or scientific conferences, seminars (unpaid speakers*).
  • participation in artistic or amateur sport competitions, whenever no monetary prize or paid admission is involved.
Tourist visa holders are not allowed to engage in any paid activity in Brazil. 

* You must present the invitation letter stating you are NOT going to be paid by any Brazilian source. If you are a paid speaker, please, check Vitem I

2) Temporary Visa I ( VITEM-I ):
  • Scientists, professors, researchers, participants in cultural, technological or scientific missions (services provided must not be paid for by a corporation or other legal entity based in Brazil, except for wages for services rendered, with the submission of a receipt);
  • Scientists, technicians, researchers or volunteers under the umbrella of an international cooperation program;
  • Exchange students (Rotary, AIESEC, AFS etc);
  • Technicians receiving training in the operation and maintenance of machinery or equipment produced in Brazil;
  • Amateur athletes, under 21 year old, participating in training programs in Brazil;
  • Provision of services to a religious or social assistance entity, without employment relationship with a corporation or other legal entity based in Brazil.
  • Scientists, professors, researchers or any other professionals taking part in seminars or conferences, being paid by a Brazilian institution. In this case, you must present the invitation letter attesting you are going to be financially rewarded for your participation (if you are an unpaid speaker, please check Vitur).
Temporary Visa I holders are not allowed to engage in any paid activity in Brazil.

3) Temporary Visa II ( VITEM-II ):
  • Travelers with business purposes, except when the trip involves the provision of services of any nature in Brazil (in which case a Vitem V is mandatory). Business visas are issued to business travelers who possess signed import/export contracts or who are traveling to visit companies, make commercial contacts or evaluate investment opportunities;
  • Media coverage or filming;
  • Flight/ship crew members not holding an international crew card. and
  • Adoption of a Brazilian child.

4) Temporary Visa III ( VITEM-III ):
  • Paid participation in athletic or performing arts events.

5) Temporary Visa IV ( VITEM-IV ):
  • Pursuing graduate or post-graduate academic studies in Brazil.
  • Graduate or post-graduate students engaging in training or internship supported by a Brazilian university;

6) Temporary Visa V ( VITEM-V ):
  • Scientist, professor, technician,or other professionals who come to work in Brazil under a working contract and who receive a salary in Brazil;
  • Provision of services to the Brazilian Government based on an international agreement, convention or contract to which Brazil is a party;
  • Employment contract with a corporation or other legal entity based in Brazil;
  • Technical assistance based on a working contract signed between a Brazilian and a foreign corporation or other legal entity;
  • Short-term technical assistance, without a working contract;
  • Professional training, without a working contract, immediately after the completion of vocational training or university education;
  • Employees of foreign companies admitted to work in Brazil as trainees or interns at a subsidiary or Brazilian branch of the foreign company, provided that they are paid exclusively outside of Brazil by that foreign company;
  • Foreign instructors or professors for training in foreign language instruction;
  • Crew members of foreign vessels traveling to Brazil to operate in waters under Brazilian jurisdiction, as required under a charter, or services or risk contract entered into with a Brazilian company;
  • Crew members of foreign fishing vessels leased by Brazilian companies;
  • Crew members or other professionals who perform paid activities aboard cruise vessels along the Brazilian coast, in the Amazon River basin, or in other inland waters.
  • Interns and other unpaid/paid trainees, receiving professional practice in Brazil in a Brazilian company;

7) Temporary Visa VI ( VITEM-VI ):
  • Media correspondents

8) Temporary Visa VII ( VITEM-VII ):
  • Travel for religious/missionary purposes.

9) Permanent Visas:
Obs: permanent visas are for those who are going to establish permanent residence in Brazil.
RNE – Registro Nacional de Estrangeiros : The issue or renewal of the RNE card (Registro Nacional de Estrangeiros, the Brazilian ID issued to non-Brazilian citizens who hold a Brazilian Permanent Visa) is not a service provided by the Consulate. It can only be obtained or renewed at the Federal Police in Brazil ( ).

10) Diplomatic and Official Visas: